Saturday, January 7, 2012

Courage

I am very excited about 2012. 2011 was a little rough for me. I got a divorce, sold a business, got a new job and went back to school. Needless to say, it was one of my more stressful years. As I have mentioned in a previous post, I am looking at all of these changes as a chance to start over...to begin anew. I decided I need to give myself a theme, to stay motivated and hopeful with this somewhat uncertain stage in my life. My theme is courage.

Back in the spring of 2011 when my entire life seemed to be falling down around me I received a call from my sister. "I'm in the car," she said, as if I would assume she could possibly be anywhere else, "and I have received some inspiration for you. Everyday you need to read Joshua 1:9. EVERY DAY." We chatted a little bit and I promised I would follow her inspiration.

(On a side note, Lisa called me a few weeks later and said, "Rob has the kids, so you have my complete attention. You can cry, vent, whatever you need." "Ummm, well, I'm making dinner right now and not especially feeling like having a breakdown. Oh - and the girls are right here." "But Rob has the kids! You have my undivided attention!" Lisa - I would like to apologize for not being able to have a breakdown at that particular moment. I want you to know there have been several since...but I wasn't sure if Rob had the kids. :))

Anyway, taking care of a few things I pulled out my bible.



Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of good courage; be
not afraid, neither be thou dismayed for the Lord thy God is with thee
withersoever thou goest."


LOVE IT! I have been reading this almost every day since and I will tell you there are days where this verse is what has kept me going. People call courage a lot of different things: confidence, strength, fortitude, initiative, even gumption. (Maybe my theme should be gumption - no one ever uses that word anymore.) But it all boils down to courage. There are a lot of people that live their lives with amazing courage. I'm not talking about the life or death type of courage; I'm talking about the courage to wake up, every day and do your best. There are so many people that have struggles and challenges that aren't just one or two rough days, but maybe weeks, months or even a lifetime of shoring yourself up every morning to begin again.

I was delighted when I read an article written by President Thomas S. Monson, the president of my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, to find that he wrote about courage this month, as well. He included the following Ralph Waldo Emerson quote:




Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide on, there is
always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties
arising that tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a
course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage a
soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win
them.


So, no more excuses, no more blame, this is the year we courageously follow our hearts. Won't you join me?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this post. That scripture has helped me in the last 18 months while almost every aspect of my life has also changed. For a couple of years, I knew I needed to make changes (get out of TLG, get out of my house, etc.) but kept ignoring the promptings. Finally the lord had to use a very heavy hand and leave me with no choice but to make these changes - and I am happier now than I have ever been because of it. So, MY theme is "Faith". He knows what is best for us and sometimes we just have to let him take the wheel and hold on for the ride, and know that it will all work out better in the end. Good luck in 2012! I have a good feeling it's going to be a spectacular year for you. All these changes are simply setting you up to receive the greatest blessings and miracles of your life :)

Jill said...

I love the idea of reading a specific verse everyday! This reminds me of the strength that comes from memorizing scriptures as well. Our family learned Helaman 5:12 a couple years ago in primary and it has become our go-to scripture to say aloud together when I'm running late in the morning and we don't get to read scriptures. I love it and have found great strength in it. Also, I have to teach RS next week and it's on the talk Elder Scott gave in the October Conference about the scriptures. He continually refers to them as a "friend" and "comfort".

You've got great gumption!

michelle said...

Great word, great plan. I don't think I have ever used a scripture in that way, that is powerful. I am sure that great things will happen for you this year!