Friday, December 2, 2011

I'm back!

It's December...can you believe it? Last December was the beginning of the end of my marriage...so it's been quite a year. Business is sold, divorce final, new job, back in school, new profile on my blog (just need a new pic) - feels like a new beginning and one I am feeling excited about. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Pollyanna - there have been some rough days BUT I'm off both antidepressants and Diet Coke- so, hooray!

In spite of my school busyness I plan on posting to my blog on a more regular basis, so stay tuned for more. In the meantime a brief story:

When I was around 13 or 14 years old I had this fabulous white dress with a ruffle along the bottom. One Sunday, at the end of church, I was waiting in the lobby for my family when I looked down and noticed some lint in between my ruffle and skirt. I bent down to pick it out. Hmmm....more lint. I picked out a little more...turns out that the washer and dryer found this ruffle to be a great home for little minuscule dust bunnies. I became so wrapped up in picking out the tiny bits of lint that I completely forgot that I was in a public place. I was no longer bending over picking the lint out of the ruffle...no. I was now standing up...holding the bottom of my skirt right in front of my eyes, trying to pick out the lint. Imagine yourself in this scene. You leave the chapel to discover a teenage girl standing against the wall holding her skirt up in the air. Not exactly what you expect after a church service. I have wondered how many people walked by, flabbergasted, before Karla Pratt came rushing over and said, "Michelle, what on earth are you doing?" I was suddenly aware and mortified at how wrapped up I had been in my little ruffle project. "I don't know what I'm doing!" I said to Karla...she laughed and I jetted to the parking lot to wait in the car for the rest of my family. (The fact that I went back to church the following Sunday just shows how committed I am to church!)

So why on earth would I mention this? Because I think it is easy to become so wrapped up in our own little issues this time of year that we forget we are surrounded by a lot of people who could use a little bit of our focus. It's so easy to assume that someone else will step up and help...when the Lord meant for us to be that someone. So stop stressing about the presents and take a moment each day to make someone's day just a little brighter. If this is too big of a leap for you, advice wise, let me offer this instead....keep your skirt down...at all times...'nuf said.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Hilarious story Michelle and great analogy!

I love your new profile and am excited for you to have this stage of your life. I know it's not what you planned, but I'm sure it will be liberating and wonderful! I'll be looking forward to regular posts from you!

ohiolanges said...

Love it! Love you! No Diet Coke? Wow.

Lisa Olivier Sorenson said...

i LOVE this!

AO said...

That is a hysterical story Michelle! Love the reminder to not get so absorbed in my own things that I lose track of people---but I think it also shows something about your strength...the strength that has gotten you through more than those teenage challenges.

Heather Menzer (aka Heather Westover) said...

Love your insight and your humor!

michelle said...

You are just a seemingly never-ending treasure trove of funny stories! I love it (especially your last paragraph). I know I get busy and wrapped up and am not really thinking about others like I want to at this time of year.