Friday, May 21, 2010

The most glorious sound...

You may not know this - but the most glorious sound is that of a toilet flushing. Yea! We now have two functioning toilets and two functioning sinks upstairs. You are free to use them as long as you don't mind the fact that there are no doors. Sadly, I don't think Bob will mind that at all...we will have to teach him some self-control. (And speedily paint the doors.)

On a Bob note - whatever relationship havoc the remodel had done to our marriage, the painting has repaired. For some unknown reason, Bob finds the fact that I am spending countless hours painting, very attractive. Go figure. Maybe it's the baggy, paint riddled jeans - or perhaps the paint in my hair. I don't know why I can't paint without getting it in my hair. I pull it back, put on one of Bob's baseball caps - but still, at the end of the day - paint in the hair. Someone asked me the other day what colors I chose. "Look right here." I said as I pulled forward a lock of hair, "This is the bathroom color. What do you think?" She thought I was strange.

At a bridal shower I attended last night, several neighbors said they wanted to come see the progress - to which I responded "Anytime!" But inside cringed...since the rest of the house is complete and total chaos. You see, I live with 3 surface dwellers. All of their belongings must be on some highly visible, horizontal surface. Did I mention I have an 11 foot bar in my kitchen? That's a lot of surface to cover people - but never fear - my family comes through. Alright - I confess it's not all them - sadly, (sigh) some of it is me. If I leave one magazine or the mail on the counter it seems to be the permission everyone was waiting for to start the stacks. Stacks and stacks of randomness (trying to avoid saying crap.) It drives me nuts - but it gets so bad that it seems overwhelming. Bob has all of these items (papers) that he apparently is going to need at any given moment and therefore cannot move or put away said papers.

As I attempted to clear up the other day I discovered (please enjoy the irony) a book I had purchased on organizing. The book talked about how some people need to see everything, others need it hidden away. Therefore, if you want to see everything, your desk should have stacking trays instead of filing cabinets. Anyway, in spite of the way my home is looking these days, I am definitely a "hidden away" kind of gal - and thought Bob must be a "visual" organizer. (His desk at work has approximately 200 stacking trays, give or take). When I asked him, I was stunned to hear him say "hidden away." What?! have you seen you? You are a hoarder in the making! But - nevertheless, I went with what he told me. I took this gorgeous, large filing basket, placed it on the desk in the kitchen and made folders for all of his vital papers. I lovingly showed him where everything was - and YET each time he would look for something he would come to me, panic in his voice, unable to find said papers. They are right here....on the desk, in the basket, in the folder, in the house that jack built. (sorry) This is what the basket looks like now: The surface dwellers have taken the basket captive. I would move the stack to show you the cute files, but I simply lack the courage.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

the more defensive part of me is currently kicking in... i must say that i don't think i'm really one of said surface dwellers...

Jill said...

Hooray for 2 working sinks and toilets, but oh dear to no doors! Only a man could be okay with that situation.

Who knew that painting could make a person attractive to their spouse, I may need to try that.

I have one major surface organizer and we are continually at odds with each other.

michelle said...

I'm cracking up at the image of you with paint in your hair, showing off the color of your bathroom! Also that painting could make you more attractive to your spouse. I'd try anything at this point!

cRo said...

Friday night I had the pleasure of seeing you when you hadn't had a shower or bath and with paint in your hair and I've gotta say...you're still gorgeous! If I could only be so blessed.