Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Story #34 Kristen

I am dragging my feet about ending my stories. I know that I need to write about the girls and Bob - but find that a bit overwhelming. Of course right now I am finding work, home and life in general overwhelming - so much so that my shoulder are basically one giant knot!



On Saturday Kristen turned to me and said, "Mom, our family needs a theme song." "We do?" I replied. "Yep. That way when everyone finishes breakfast and we head off in our different directions - our theme song will play." "Do you have a song in mind?" "Nope - I'll get back to you." This is one of many reasons why I need to write about Kristen.

When I was pregnant with Kristen I asked Nicole what we should name her new baby sister. She looked up and immediately announced "Pwa-Pwaps" as the perfect name. It is almost as catchy as Kristen.

I love that when Kristen was a toddler and would single-handedly destroy the entire house in under 3 minutes flat she would then proceed to bat her eyelashes at me and say, "I love you, Momma." Just to make the destruction okay.

I love that Kristen was so excited about her first zit, she stretched out her arms and declared "Puberty has arrived!" She then preceded to point out the zit to each one of Nicole's friends. That first one may have been exciting...but now she experiences a little more dread if a new one appears.

I love that Kristen, at a young age, told me, "You just don't get how important fashion is to me, Mom." And that she has already decided that she is the kind of girl who will always be okay with spending $60 on a tank top. (I feel just a little differently.)

I love that Kristen has pretty much memorized the script from What's Up Doc? - just like her mother.

I love that Kristen is very comfortable around disabled people of any age, or anyone who looks or acts a little differently than most. She is always outgoing and friendly with EVERYONE. (In spite of the fact that she made that guy cry at the post office....see story #30.)

All babies and animals love Kristen - that says something!

I love how hard Kristen works in school - her grades are very important to her.

I love that I find love notes from Kristen, as well as invoices for "the pleasure of being her mother."

I love that Kristen dances in dressing rooms when trying on new clothes. Is she testing the twirl-ability factor?

When Kristen was a toddler she was constantly asking questions. If I didn't know the answer she would say, "Well, think about it!" (This is still a family mantra.) This led to me OCCASIONALLY making up answers:

One day at the grocery store, Kristen age 3:

Kristen: Mom, what's that guy's name?

Me: I don't know him, so I don't know his name.

Kristen: Well, think about it.

Me: His name is Fred.

Kristen: (Loudly) Fred, hey Fred!

"Fred" does not respond.

Kristen: Mom? What's wrong with Fred?

She would always try to add things to the cart. When I would explain that we couldn't get that item because it wasn't on the list, she would say, "You meant to put it on the list - but you are always forgetting!"

I love that Kristen has that gift for picking great colors, fabrics and designs.


I love Kristen's incredibly nimble fingers that enable her to create beautiful artwork and beautiful harp music.

I love that Kristen has the confidence to sing a solo in front of her class.


I love that Kristen understands the importance of stylish shoes.

I love how important following Jesus Christ is to Kristen.

I am so lucky to be the mother of this incredible, beautiful, talented, smart, kind person!
I meant to have all kinds of photos for this - but my scanner has decided it's not in the mood.

4 comments:

michelle said...

I love Kristen!

She is one stylish, talented girl with a great sense of humor.

So funny that you need a family theme song! Let's see... the theme from The Jetsons has a character named George in it. Or how about one of those great Partridge Family songs?

p.s. I remember Pwa Pwaps! We still say that sometimes.

Jill said...

She sounds like a highly amusing girl! I love a good sense of humor, and really love to see it in kids.

"Puberty has arrived!" What a great thing to say.

The theme song that comes to mind for me is the one from The Jeffersons. It's just plain catchy and lends itself to a bit of a strut, and really that seems like a good way to start the day.

Amy said...

Fred, hey Fred, What's wrong with Fred? I cannot stop laughing about this. How funny is she? Hope you choose a family theme song soon, otherwise you'll be the only family with great shoes and no theme song to accompany them, no one wants that.

ohiolanges said...

Our family theme song is "You can't always get what you want!' The girls think it is funny but Tanner still screams when he hears it.

Loved learning more about Kristen! Hopefully we will see her during our next Utah trip!