Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Story #29 A really good summer romance

First - a pet peeve. What is up with all of these costumed individuals on the sidewalk waving signs for cell phones or cash for gold or pizza? Is this really some great new marketing tool? I figure it must have some success because they are every where! So, how does this work, is someone out running errands, sees a pink gorilla dancing around outside a store and thinks "Gee, that makes me want to go upgrade my cell phone." And if that is the way their thought process works should they be allowed behind the wheel of a car?

Second - I have been so crazy busy lately!! I want to blog more, but work and an upcoming home remodel are completely sapping any sort of creativity that I can muster, let alone time. So be patient! I will get more consistent again soon! In order to post this I am happily neglecting completing my 2010 budget for work. (Yes, I do realize it is the middle of February. But this way it's really easy to figure out January's budget.)

Third - Last night I went to a spa party and won a gift certificate....a one hundred dollar gift certificate to....(drum roll please)....slumber parties....a sex accessory type catalog. So anyone need a whip? I had no idea how naive I was about certain things....definitely an ignorance is bliss kind of thing. I probably shouldn't put that in my blog - I already get a lot of weird spam - but I just think it is so funny! It could not be more wasted then giving it to me. (Sorry, Bob.) So expect some really unusual gifts this year! Michelle O. - anything you want for your birthday?


Anyway, on to the much requested "good kiss" story...Maybe not the best story to follow the last announcement. WARNING: The cheesiness factor is bordering on a "Velveeta" rating...so proceed with caution.


The summer before my senior year in high school I went to spend some time with my Aunt and Uncle in New York. We were going to be heading to Europe to pick up my brother from his mission and my parents thought I would enjoy spending some time with my Aunt, Uncle and cousins before we left. They lived outside of Rochester in a small community call Honeyoye Falls. It was a gorgeous area with a mixture of mansions and slightly smaller homes. I have always had a great relationship with my cousins and my Aunt and Uncle - so I was thrilled to be there.

Down the lane, in a beautiful house (you should have seen the library), complete with a 3 hole golf course and a large pond (large enough to row around in a small boat), lived a young man whom I will call....um.....Fabio...no just kidding....I'll just use his real name - Kevin. Kevin was just getting ready to leave on a mission and had a lot of spare time on his hands. Over the course of several days, Warren (my cousin) and I spent a lot of time with Kevin. We played cards, went to dinner, watched movies and took some walks. He had a beautiful smile, great sense of humor and was so easy to talk to. I was crushing in a big way. Never in a million years did I think someone this cute would be interested in me - but lo, and behold, he was interested.

Do you remember what it feels like to feel the flutter of butterfly wings when a certain someone brushes their hand against yours? Or gently guides you through the door by placing their hand in the small of your back? The way your breath would catch in your throat and you would have moments where you could swear you were floating? That was how every moment was that summer. We had an incredible time together. It didn't take long before Warren wasn't joining us on our evening strolls. I couldn't get enough of anything he had to say and he seemed to feel the same way. Too soon, our trip to Europe came. Now don't get me wrong - going to Europe was an incredible feeling and I loved seeing Marc again after 2 long years - but my mind was back in Honeyoye Falls. Everywhere we went I would wish that I was there with Kevin. I had fallen and fallen HARD!

After 3 weeks we returned to Honeyoye Falls for just a few days. I couldn't wait to see Kevin and was slightly distressed upon our return to discover that he was out of town for a few days. By the time he returned we would have 2 days together, then I would return to Oregon and he would go to Argentina for 2 years.

The highlight of this summer romance was definitely the last night together. He invited me over that evening for a picnic. When we arrived at his house, he walked me down to the pond in the vast backyard. It was a beautiful evening, complete with fireflies, candles, soft music and a warm breeze. We sat on the blanket talking, laughing and barely eating. "I wish we had more time together." he said, "I wish you weren't flying back to Oregon tomorrow." "Me, too." I replied. He stood up and brushed off his pants. He turned up the music and said, "I have been trying to find a way to ask you to dance, without it seeming silly." (Insert sigh here.) I stood up and he wrapped me in his arms and we danced. I know it sounds over the top corny, but I am telling you it was foot sweeping on the level of a zamboni.

Soon a light sprinkle of rain began to fall, we both looked up, started to laugh and hurried into the house. He took me into the library. An enormous room lined with mahogany book shelves and great big leather arm chairs. He guided me over to the sofa where we started to talk....YES, TALK...for hours. Around 4 a.m. he started to rub my shoulders. He ran his fingers through my hair then traced my jawline and the outline of my lips with his fingertips. His fingers ran along the edge of my ear and across the back of my neck as he gently turned me around and gave me a long, soft, gentle kiss.

There was no long make-out session, no groping hands, just one tender, heart-felt, passionate kiss. As he pulled away I had to remind myself to breathe. We both looked at each other - slightly teary - wondering what would have happened if we had met at a different time - when the toll of the grandfather clock began.

The sound of the clock suddenly brought me to the awareness that I had been out ALL night and might have hell to pay when my parents discovered my perfectly made bed. We both agreed it was time to go. We walked down the dirt lane to my Aunt and Uncle's house as the sun was starting to rise. The closer the house got the slower we walked. We embraced one last time and I crept into the house, forcing myself not to look back.

It was the kind of summer romance that every teenage girl deserves to experience. No regrets, just sweet memories of a first love.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Ahhh, and there are those ever special butterflies in my tummy just upon reading this. I love the innoncence of young crushing. Also there are some good clean fun things to be gotten with your gift cert. I'll talk to you when I see you about some ideas. Bah ha ha.

michelle said...

Totally cracking up about the gift certificate that you won!

And I completely agree about sign-wavers. Max and I were just remarking while in the car that those things make us want to stay away, if anything.

Oh, young love. Everyone should have an experience like that! Mine was 25 years ago, and I still dream about it sometimes...

Jill said...

That is definitely on the zamboni level of feet sweeping!! Whatever happened with him? Did you write him on his mission? How dreamy!

Tricia said...

sorry i haven't commented in so long. haven't been on my computey forever!!

i love this story. i loved that fleeting young crush feeling!