Friday, October 16, 2009

Another new phone and getting to know my team!

I must start by telling you that I returned the dreaded blackberry and got a G1. Much better, although to be honest I haven't spent much time to try and learn that yet either!

Today in my staff meeting we did a little get to know you exercise and I learned some fun, quirky and disturbing things about my staff. I have been so blessed these past 8 years with wonderful women (and occasionally men) to work along side. I had always hoped to be a stay at home mom, but since I have to work I have been lucky to have mostly perfect people to work with. The not so perfect ones have been so incredibly strange that I wonder how I didn't pick up on it when I interviewed them!

Today we just needed to have some fun in staff meeting, so after a few announcements we had people answer the following questions and then guess who it was. The question were:

1. If you could have a super power what would it be and why?
2. If you could add a face to Mt. Rushmore, who would you add?
3. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
4. Tell us one unique and quirky habit you have.
5. Write a thought or prediction for a fortune cookie.
6. If you could be any comic strip character who would you be and why?

I think the answers that were most enjoyable were the ones for number 4. One employee said that she can't leave a grocery store (she shops at the big mega ones) without buying a new pair of underwear - she has a lot of underwear. One said that she likes to sing loudly in an operatic voice when she feels angry or frustrated. Another one can't go to sleep without vacuuming her whole house first. One likes to wear socks with her sandals. Another has to go through and check all the windows and doors at night to make sure they are locked, even if someone else already has checked.

The fortune cookies were pretty funny! "You are being watched!" "You have herpes." "You can eat all the chocolate you want and never get fat." "You will eat another fortune cookie."

It was really nice for me to just be able to have some fun. Therapy was super intense and has left me feeling drained ever since - so I thoroughly enjoyed being able to laugh for awhile.

Do you have one (or more) quirky or unique habit? Care to share? By the way, the only one I could think of for me was the spelling thing - switching out letters and such...not so interesting when compared to compulsive underwear purchasing.

2 comments:

Jill said...

This sounds like a fun thing to do with your employees, or with anyone really.

I'm sorry therapy is leaving you so drained, but kudos to you for doing it. It's so great that you're taking action (even though it's painful) to be healthier and bring about change.

Quirks, hmmm...I never write on the first page of a notepad or notebook, I like to think that if someone picked it up they'd think it was empty.

michelle said...

The spelling thing? What did I miss?

I type compulsively. Have ever since I took typing in jr. high. If I'm not doing something else with my hands while watching tv or a movie, I type out the dialogue with my hands, wherever they happen to be. I never realized I did this until Marc pointed it out. When I see a sign, I type the words on my steering wheel. There is a bit of an ocd component to it, too. I type things and try to make them line up or even out somehow, like:

Michelle Denney

Michelle
Denney

Michelle Denney

Yeah, I'm weird.