Sunday, September 27, 2009

PARIS!!!

(the view from the Trocadero overlooking the Eiffel Tower)
I absolutely loved our trip to Paris! We had an amazing time. The only downfall was my feet giving out before my brain. (FYI - I set aside my upset feelings about missing our plane - although Bob and I will have to work through that one.)


The Olivier's were wonderful hosts. Not only did we get to crash there, Michelle made us gourmet dinners and brought us wonderful breakfasts from the neighborhood patisserie. Marc
took a day out of his busy schedule to speed walk us around the Latin Quarter (I've never seen him move so quickly!) and Max and Lucas joined us for several adventures.

(A breakfast of almond croissants, chocolate almond croissants and pain aux chocolat.)

Max, Lucas, Nicole and Kristen were troopers - especially for the stuff that wasn't as interesting to them. I did my best to add interest - thus the following story from the cathedral at Les Invalides, where Napoleon is entombed.
Inside this beautiful cathedral are several tombs/caskets - but the most notable is of Napoleon Bonaparte. As you can tell (picture below) from comparing the size of the people to the casket - the thing is immense. It is surrounded by gorgeous inlaid marble and stunning statues all around. There are a set of stairs to take you down next to the casket, or you can look at it from the main level. I had gone down and seen it up close and thought the kids, who were getting bored, would enjoy the close up view. By the time I had gone back up to the main level - they had gone down the stairs with Bob. As I looked down onto the casket - I spied the kids and thought the angle would make a cool picture. I leaned over the marble railing to take the picture, forgetting that my sunglasses were hanging from the front of my shirt. In horror I watched my glasses fall down and shatter next to Napoleon's tomb! The noise was surprisingly loud, and mine was not the only gasp to be heard. I felt like I would be kicked out of France. I raced down the stairs to discover that I could not retrieve the glasses, as there is a marble wall all the way around. Bob and Kristen had seen the glasses fall - only with the loud noise thought it was my camera.

This whole incident brought the kids to life. Of all the cool things we had shown them, nothing was as fascinating as my shattered glasses.

I know the picture is dark - but you can see from their expressions the sheer enjoyment of my clumsiness. They documented the event with extensive photos and talked about it for some time afterwards. I'm here to entertain.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Feet are a definite liability in Paris! My ankle is still gimpy and I'm officially stressed by the thought of trying to walk around Paris in a couple weeks...I need a miracle!

I'm sorry about your sunglasses (that would be a hard loss for me since I can hardly open my eyes outside without them) but what a funny story! It cracks me up to think of you possibly getting kicked out of France!

michelle said...

I too am cracking up over the thought of you getting kicked out of France! And the way the kids came to life when your glasses fell and shattered. You never know what will fascinate and entertain them!

I'm so glad you were able to come and stay. I hope you all made lasting memories here, and I was happy to be a part of it!

p.s. the word verification for this comment is "hyper".

Amy said...

I am so happy you got to go to Paris, even if the first flight was missed. That had to be my favorite trip ever. The pic of the food made my mouth water, the food there is incredible. Ahhh... Paris. Oh and sorry about your glasses.

Nicole Denney said...

its not so much that you dropped your glasses... its the fact that you dropped them on NAPOLEAN'S TOMB!!! if you had just dropped them in the street, i don't think we would have enjoyed it quite so much.

Tara and Dan said...

haha GREAT story!!! Now a piece of you will always live with Napolean...