Friday, July 31, 2009

Everything is bigger in Texas

I just returned from a work trip to Austin - Texas. The theme for Austin is "Keep Austin Weird" and they are doing a very good job of upholding their motto. I wish I had a camera but I forgot mine and Katie, who went with me, forgot hers, too! We stayed at the beautiful "Barton Creek Resort." It was surrounded by rolling hills lots of trees and beautiful golf courses. To keep with the "everything is bigger in Texas" stereotype - everything in our room was over sized. (This is where I desperately wish I had a camera) The head board was a good 7 feet tall, all of the light switches hit around my shoulder or above, the vanity counter and sink hit at chest level and the TV was enormous. The odd thing was the toilet was VERY low to the ground - with the TP holder about 12 inches from the ground - very strange.

Katie and I arrived early and had plenty of time to explore Austin. It was during this time that I discovered my super power of being invisible. Almost every shop and restaurant we went into Katie was being hit on. Now I didn't need to be hit on - but what was shocking was that they didn't even see me standing there with her. So not only do I have the wedding "deflector" ring, but I am also invisible - but for Katie it was fabulous. She didn't even care if the guys were on the creepy side - she claims that no one in Salt Lake hits on her...which I know isn't true since both the mailman and a waiter at a nearby restaurant have asked her out.

The great thing about conferences for work is that it gets you all motivated and excited about what you are doing - so for that I am very grateful.

The thing I was most grateful for? I came home to a clean house...YIPPEE! Now - Off to work!

6 comments:

Jill said...

What in the world, you both forgot your cameras??! I'm going to need a moment of silence...





Okay, but what about the costume party?

I share your powers of invisibility, and though it's handy in real life most of the time, it can be sad too.

Michelle said...

Jill - I was lame - I didn't dress up!

michelle said...

I too have that superpower!

There is no way I would have dressed up. And double hooray for coming home to a clean house!!

Jenny said...

AHH the craziness of a work training. Those are some fun times.

ohiolanges said...

I too was wondering about the rock star you chose. You are a rock star - so I am glad you went as yourself!

Thanks for the kind words on your blog. It was so great to see you and Nicole. Next time - maybe we will include the rest of our families. . .

Tara and Dan said...

Did Katie dress up?? I would have been Bon Jovi...