Monday, March 16, 2009

Weekends are too short!

I look forward to the weekends and always have this overly ambitious list of things I am going to accomplish - and usually accomplish about 3 things. Nicole and I went down to my brother's house on Saturday with my parents to celebrate Michelle's (my sis-in-law) birthday. Michelle happens to be one of my favorite people in the world and I was glad to have an excuse to leave the housecleaning. After driving back to Salt Lake I ran to the grocery store with no list. I know that doesn't seem like a big deal, but every week for the past 17+ years I have always planned my meals before I go to the store. You would have thought that I had never been to the store in my whole life. I was completely at a loss. I couldn't figure out what to buy and kept wandering from one end of the store to the other until, due to fatigue, Nicole and I checked out. I ended up with vegetables, diet coke and a case (yes, a case) of tuna. That didn't leave us with a lot of options for Sunday dining - but Kristen, my assistant chef, helped me actually find something we could cook with our pitiful grocery offerings. (And fortunately the tuna was not involved.) We had a great time making these vegetable "nests" with an egg baked in the middle. The meal even had the illusion of being healthy - and I love that Kristen is so fun to cook with...














Sunday is one of my favorite days because there are no errands to run - and the whole family can hang out together - AND it is called the day of REST!! You are supposed to rest - says so in the Bible! I think there should also be Wednesday, the day of playing.. just a thought. Anyway, as part of my plan for 2009 - I have been taking more time to do things I enjoy, such as sewing and needlework. I finally finished a punch needle project for Valentine's Day - yes, Valentine's Day - but look how far ahead I am for 2010!














I also started on a bag for Kristen. It's not quite finished - I still need to sew the straps - but as I was looking at it I asked Kristen if the fabric was too busy. She said, "No, it's perfect. It matches who I am - a wild girl!" So I guess I had better finish it next weekend.

2 comments:

michelle said...

I love that photo of Kristen! She is a wild girl, in the best sense, and how great that she is your assistant chef.

I also love your valentine needlework, it's darling. I think it's wonderful that you're making time to do things that bring you pleasure and satisfaction. Way to go!

Thanks for coming down on Saturday, I always love chatting with you.

Jill said...

Wow, it's seriously impressive that you plan your meals in advance of going to the grocery store...I guess I ought to try that. I tend to wander the store and end up buying lots of snack foods (no wonder I'm fat) and a few meal-helping items and then wonder why I don't know what to make for dinner.

Your needlework is impressive, I'm glad you're doing something creative that you enjoy.