Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I don't want to be in charge today!

Sometimes I hate being the boss. I have a very cute employee who has been with me for 4 1/2 years - longer than any other employee. Well, she didn't show up for work today. This is the 5th time in the past year that this has happened. She has been having panic attacks - which I know first hand to be terrifying. So the first time I let it go - told her how concerned I was and encouraged her to talk to someone, or go see her Dr. The second one - still concerned - PLEASE go see the Dr. - get some help- I understand, etc. The third one - this is really getting to be a problem - I am so sorry you are going through this - but I need you to be here for your shift - and in the very least let us know when and why you aren't showing up. Fourth time - I am so sorry to do this but I have to put you on probation. I really hope you see someone and get the help you need - it's not fair to the rest of the staff or me when you don't show up - or even let us know where you are. Yesterday we chat - she says she is taking Zoloft - feeling good. So today she doesn't show up to work. Another employee mentions that she saw her at a bar last night. (I thought you weren't supposed to mix alcohol with anti depressants?) I get a text saying she is having an anxiety attack. Then the boyfriend calls - he took her to the E.R. - please don't fire her. She loves her job - she is getting help - they just need to find the right medicine, etc. So now I don't know what to do. On one hand she signed the agreement that she would not miss work for the next 90 days unless ill - in which case she needs to find a sub for classes and call and let me know ahead of time why she won't be to work. In order to show respect for the other staff that has to cover for her - and because she signed the agreement and still didn't show up with no word until she was over an hour late - it seems I should fire her. But I really care about her - when is enough enough?

2 comments:

michelle said...

Yuck. I wouldn't want to be the boss either! That puts you in such a difficult position, especially when you are having to cover for someone last minute.

Sometimes I don't want to be the mom, but I can't walk away from that either...

p.s. the word verification for this post is "holes" -- for some reason it tickles me when it's an actual word.

Jill said...

I would not want to be the boss in this situation either. You'll have to report back on what you decide to do.

I'm usually a tough-love kind of gal, but that's rough if she's been with you for so long.